What is the super charger?
GaN can be operated at high temperatures and voltages which is a key consideration for power-management applications such as inverter of solar power generator and renewable energy storage systems. For the past years, GaN products have been used to efficiently power a wide range of communications and industrial designs, achieving new levels of power density and efficiency with each product launch.
Why Is Gallium Nitride Superior to Silicon?
High bandgap : Gallium nitride has a 3.4 eV bandgap, compared to silicon’s 1.12 eV bandgap. A higher bandgap efficiency means the current can pass through a GaN chip faster than a silicon one. Gallium nitride can sustain higher voltages and higher temperatures than silicon.
High frequency : GaN is capable of conducting electrons 1,000 times more efficiently than silicon and with lower manufacturing costs, to boot.
Small : GaN device is much smaller than silicon.
The Coming Future
1. GaN enables overcoming the limitations seen with the use of Si devices
2. A three level neutral-point active-clamped inverter enables the use of commercially available 650 V GaN devices when operating with energy storage devices around 1000 V
3. GaN allows the use of faster switching frequencies – greatly reducing the cost and size of the converter while maintaining high efficiency
4. The designers would have to pay great attention to gate driver design and thermal design
5. GaN devices enable the development of faster and smaller energy conversion devices